The Center for Digestive Health at the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center recommends the following organizations for digestive health support:
- American College of Gastroenterology
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America
- National Digestive Diseases Information
- United Ostomy Association
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
Ostomy support groups and references
- United Ostomy Associations
- Richmond Ostomy Association (look under patient/visitor information, support groups)
- VCU Center for Digestive Health ostomy information
Major ostomy suppliers providing ostomy information
Resources for those unable to afford supplies
- Ask your ostomy nurse for special programs available to you.
- Visit the www.ostogroup.org website. Supplies are free if you qualify, but you will be asked to pay the shipping. If your usual supplies are not available, they may be able to offer you a similar product.
Online chat room
- Meet an Ostomate – This online chat room and resource provides helpful information for ostomates. Just remember, everyone’s situation is different. Consult your ostomy nurse or physician before using skin preparations or taking medicines recommended by other ostomates.
- Osto My Secrets offers stylish ostomy underwear and ostomy garments.